01 February, 2009

last night's dinner: Tossed spinach lasagne and goat cheese gratin

The only cookbook I own is Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. It's a great cookbook even if you aren't a vegetarian. My mom used it pretty frequently at home so she wouldn't let me steal it from her. I bought it in the fall when I moved into my apartment, for a bit more than the $26 price Amazon currently sells it for. I've tried out a few recipes from it and the tossed spinach lasagne is one I've made several times over.


Ingredients
1 pound spinach pasta
2 cups herb béchamel sauce
1/2 cup cream
8 ounces crumbled goat cheese
1 tablespoon chopped thyme

Make the béchamel sauce and then add the cream and goat cheese.
Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly butter a gratin dish.
Parbroil the spinach pasta for 1-2 minutes in salted water, then drain.
Toss the pasta with the sauce and put in the gratin dish. Bake until bubbling and browned here and there on top, 30-40 minutes.

I used this recipe, also from the same cookbook for the béchamel sauce.

Ingredients
2 cups milk
1/4 cup finely diced onion
Aromatics: 1 bay leaf, 3 parsley sprigs, 2 thyme sprigs
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
3 1/2 tablespoons flour

Heat the milk with the onion and aromatics in a saucepan over medium heat. Turn off just before it boils and set aside to steep for 15 minutes.
In another saucepan make a roux by melting the butter, adding flour and stirring constantly over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the milk and whisk until thickened.
Stir until the sauce comes to a boil. Set the pan over very low heat and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add 1/3 cup chopped herbs: chervil, thyme and tarragon, or chopped parsley mixed with other herbs of your choice.


I do a few things differently than the recipe. First of all, since Shaw's doesn't seem to carry spinach lasagne noodles I use spinach fettucine. I also use dry, chopped parsley and thyme rather than sprigs. I wish I had an herb garden. To finish it I use thyme, chopped parsley and basil.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds awesome. Would you make it again?

    ReplyDelete